Ways to save on tax prep fees
- Have all paperwork together at the same time.
- Look at last years tax return to be sure all 1099's have been received.
- Have expenses totaled up.
- Have mileage numbers available: total and business miles for each vehicle used.
- Have closing statements on any sale or purchase of a home.
- Have contributions split between cash and non-cash.
- Have details on any non-cash contributions over $500: date purchased, original value, current fair market value, and date donated.
- Have any estimated tax payments listed by date and amounts.
- Have property tax payments included that were paid within the year of the tax return (not the property tax year.)
- Have details on any stock sold including date purchased and original cost.